The Top 3 Ways to Start a Speech

communication

I’m always on the lookout for practical simple advice. I think this is a great example.

Whether it’s in formal talks or friendly conversation, we should all strive to be better communicators. When I was a sophomore in college I took a Dale Carnegie public speaking course. The course was outside the curriculum of the college so I paid additional for it and took classes at a hospital who was hosting the course. Warren Buffett also took a Dale Carnegie course when he was young. This is probably the only thing I have in common with Buffett :blush:

During the course they teach you to only talk about areas where you have experience and to tell stories throughout formal presentations.

I stumbled upon the short video below which I found practical, simple and accurate.

What are the Top 3 ways to start a speech?

1. Tell a story from your own life that connects with the audience that explains why the topic is important to them.

2. With a factoid that shocks the audience.

3. With a question that matters to the audience.

Other articles you would enjoy:

Jamie Dimon on How Warren Buffett Influenced his Communication Style

Grant Williams in Conversation with Anthony Deden Transcript [Member Post]

Speaking with Authority, Influence, and Integrity

If you enjoyed this article, you should become an Intelligent Fanatics member. As a member, you get our current and future Intelligent Fanatics books, case studies, online courses for free, as well as the ability to participate here on our community. Join Us.

Toastmasters International is also a great place to build one’s public speaking skills.