Kenny G Investing In Starbucks In 1980s

o-STARBS-570

Kenny G talks about his investment in Starbucks in the mid 1980s [HERE]. This is a perfect example of betting on the jockey very early, albeit with a huge amount of luck.

Kenny does admit his luck:

“I’d say I’m more lucky than smart. Not lucky that Starbucks became successful, but lucky that I decided to invest.”

Kenny G met Howard after a recommendation from his uncle, one of the first investors in Starbucks.

It’s interesting that if you are familiar with the story of the company, Starbucks was well known to those in Seattle at the time. They were new but dominating their niche. Kenny said, “They had a reputation for the best coffee [in town].”

The reason why Kenny G invested in Starbucks so early, and held on for so long? He said, “I didn’t really know much about coffee, but he’s [Howard Schultz] such a charismatic guy, he’s so smart and so passionate. I said whatever you are doing I want to be a part of. So I invested more in him being such a dynamic guy.”

I don’t remember the article, but Kenny G admitted that even though he’s sold more than 75 million albums, he made significantly more money investing in Starbucks.

If you enjoyed this article, you should become an Intelligent Fanatics member. As a member, you get our current and future Intelligent Fanatics books and case studies for free, as well as the ability to participate here on our community. Join Us.

The Most Valuable Investment Skill
Bono Predicted the iPhone Three Years Prior to its Release
Howard Schultz on Necessity of Omni-Curiosity

Most people do not realize the impact Kenny G had on Starbucks’s culture throughout the years. Here is Howard Schultz’s take from his book Pour Your Heart Into It:

Schultz-on-Kenny-G

I think this close connection with Schultz and the company helped Kenny G stick with his investment as it rose exponentially.

Kenny G invested more in Howard as a dynamic guy and and with this trust and patience got rewarded handsomely. Unusual story.! As inspiring as his music