Jack Ma’s Secret to Great Customer Service

“Four years ago, there is a journalist that came to our company, and when he leaves he asked me a question. ‘Why are there so many women in your company?’ And, I never realized we had so many women in our company. I said. ‘Anything wrong?’.

At Alibaba, women make up 49% of Alibaba’s workforce, and 37% of its senior management. This is up from 40% and 34% just two years ago.

Let’s compare this to four other large technology companies:

Amazon: Women make up 39% of the workforce, and 25% of its leadership.

Facebook: Women make up 35% of the workforce, and 28% of its leadership.

Google: Women make up 31% of the workforce, and 25% of its leadership.

Cisco: Women make up 23% of the workforce, and 19% of its leadership.

In a recent interview, Jack Ma provided an interesting insight into why his company is a leader in hiring women:

“We’ve found on our shopping site that women buy for their husbands, parents, and kids. Men normally only buy for themselves. Because you [women] care, it makes a big difference. To serve people better, you should have a service heart. We find that women do a much better job than men.”

According to management consulting firm McKinsey, companies in the top 25 percent for gender diversity are 15 percent more likely to have financial returns above the median for their industry. I think this statement sounds great on paper, but I like Jack Ma’s version better.

Jack Ma didn’t set out to hire more women for the sake of being diverse, he did it because it intersects with the company’s core values.

Our number one value is customer number one, employee number two, shareholder number three. This is everywhere I go. Wall Street did not like my point, but this is what I said. “If you like us, invest in us. If you don’t like us, please sell our stocks. Don’t buy us. We believe customer number one, employee number two, shareholder number three.”

“I never realized that we had 50 percent of women with my delegation, my team, because we never think they’re women. We think they’re great colleagues.”

Many of the quotes above came from this World Economics Forum interview which we’ve [TRANSCRIBED FOR MEMBERS].

If you enjoyed this article, you should become an Intelligent Fanatics member. As a member, you get our current and future Intelligent Fanatics books and case studies for free, as well as the ability to participate here on our community. Join Us.

Other Sources:

Facebook is slowly but surely making its workforce more diverse

Amazon’s weapons-grade fail in recruitment email to woman techie

Female executives are Alibaba’s ‘secret sauce,’ founder Jack Ma says

Here were two other great quotes from the video above:

“If you want to be successful tomorrow, it’s impossible. If you want to be successful in a year, it’s impossible. But if you want to win in 10 years, you have a chance.”

"When you are 20 to 30 years old you should follow a good boss, join a good company to learn how to do things properly. When you’re 30 to 40 years old, if you want to do something yourself, just do it. You still can afford to lose, to fail. But when you’re 40 to 50 years old, my suggestion is that you should do things that you are good at. And not do things that, “Oh, that’s very interesting. I want to try something new.” It’s a bit dangerous. When you’re 50 to 60 years old, spending time training and developing young people, the next generation. When you’re over 60 years old, better stay with your grandchildren.”