Introduce Yourself

Hi everyone here’s Jean-Francois from Montreal Canada. Feel grateful to be part of this community. Really happy with the significant number of people from India one of my big dream is to run and invest in business in India at some point.

My life, business and investment philosophy is based on those following principles:
1-“Dreams + Embracing Reality + Determination = a Successful Life.”
Ray Dalio

2-“Create a big dream. Keep it simple, easily understood, and measured. Attract the right people who work well together. Measure results consistently. You can create, run, or improve anything with this formula.”
Jorge Paulo Lemann

3-“What the mind can conceive, the mind can achieve”
Prem Watsa

4-" Be fearful when others are greedy , and be greedy when others are fearfull.
Warren Buffett

5-“When it comes to investment programs, we should have 10- to 50-year plans not a 5-year plan. You should plan in ways that guarantee continued long-term success despite present losses. ”
Lee Byung-chul

6-“If we want to change the world, we change ourselves.”
Jack Ma

Best

JF

3 Likes

Hi,

my name is Fredrik Nöu and I’m living in Stockholm, Sweden. I have a background in Computer Science and have been working in that field some 25 years. The last 14 years I have been working in the field of financial information, as a “bridge” between IT and the business.
Since the 90’s been investing in mutual funds and more lately stock picking. My special intererest is to understand business ideas and I am specifically interested in small companies. Usually I invest for the very long term in companies listed in the Nordics. Happy to join this forum.

5 Likes

Hi,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Wouter (25 years old) from Holland. After reading the Intelligent Fanatics books I decided to join this community.

I am very delighted that so many people share the same passion for business and investing as me. I want to thank the editors of this community for the great content and stories you guys have posted.

I found the Intelligent Fanatics books after it was shared on Twitter by none other than Chris Mayer. The author of 100 baggers. One of my favorite books on long term investing, high ROIC and owner-operator led companies.

After starting a company (Inhuren.com) in Holland at the age of 19 I als started to very fanatically reading about businesspeople and investors. After reading the Roger Lowenstein book ‘‘The Making of an American Capitalist’’ in 2013 I decided I wanted to be an investor.

Very early on I found out that by studying other investors and businesspeople I became a much better businessman myself. The fundamentals and lessons I learn are applied to my business. Actually managing a business gives you a lot of understanding about other businesses as well.

Recently I finished reading Bad Blood, The Smartest guys in the room and Saudi America. Which I all very much enjoyed.

Because of this community I decided to dive deeper into the Indian economy and Indian companies. An education I will continue for the foreseeable future…

7 Likes

We appreciate everyone for sharing their backgrounds and stories. Each one of us has a unique one. If anyone hasn’t introduced themselves, don’t be shy.

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Mark from New York.

I’m the COO of a small medical practice and I personally manage my own investment portfolio. I find the more I improve in one capacity (operator or investor), the better I get in the other capacity. And this is why I’m an avid reader and student of business and investing. I look forward to learning from and contributing to this community.

fyi, I’m game for local meetups in NYC.

Thanks,
Mark

7 Likes

Hi everyone,

My name is Paul Higgins.

I grew up in Dublin, Ireland but have been fortunate enough to travel. While 16 I had the opportunity to work on a ranch in Texas and have done so each year since. I have a huge interest in what doesn’t work in long term investing and building out a latticework which will serve me and those around me more and more over time.

I studied Economics in University in both Dublin and Hong Kong, qualified as a CPA and more recently completed the Columbia Value investing course remotely. In my own spare time I have researched the cross section of where psychology, leadership and value/ GARP investing meet. My professional career has been in private markets as an M&A advisor, M&A team within a global PLC acquiring consulting businesses across Europe, Middle East and Africa and more recently setting up ventures myself alongside founders in Europe.

I am looking forward to engaging in discussions with the IF members around competitive advantages, enduring behaviors of enduring management and digesting the enduring lessons from the investment community vs. the rest of the noise.

I attend BRK annual shareholder meeting annually and also look to attend as many events as possible in the space and so would be very interested in any meetup/ events the team host in Europe. Paul

6 Likes

Team,

My name is Blas Moros and I’m excited to be a new member of this community. I’m half Swedish and half Spanish and this cultural dichotomy influences how I see the world.

I love reading broadly and making connections across fields and, most importantly, finding ways to act on them in the real world. I’m attempting to put my learnings into action at my current job and in my life in general.

I aim to give back as much as possible, to do what is meaningful rather than what is expedient, to spend quality time with quality people, to continuously collect/combine/refine/synthesize, and, above all, to keep it simple and.

This process has been so fun for me thus far and I’m excited to contribute what little I can and to learn from all of you.

Blas

8 Likes

Happy New Year everyone!

My friend @SANTHOSHKUMAR_VAITHI gifted me this premium membership on new year’s eve. I have heard great things about this community from my friend and looking forward to experiencing it myself.

About me, My name is Nirmal Srinivasan in very late 20s. I’m from silicon valley working for an early stage startup as senior engineer working on AI bots. One thing that I share with many from this community is determination to stay life long learner and admiration for Charlie Munger and value investing. I’m interested in 3 topics:

1. Doing more with less (Frugal innovation)
  2. Business dynamics (early/small cap primarily)
  3. Acquiring multi-disciplinary models (economic/financial primarily) .

I don’t have too much money at my disposal due to high cost of living in bay area followed by other personal unavoidable financial commitments. But, trying to make the best out of what I can squeeze out and invest. I’ll add value to the community where every I can. Really excited to start my new year off with this good first step.

Cheers,
Nirmal

6 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am Neil O’Donnell. I am very excited to be a member of this community. Sean and Ian, you have done a phenomenal job creating a community around didactic lessons in a very short time. I especially enjoyed the case study on valuing a company based on its management and fundamentals.

I came to this community after reading the excellent books Sean and Ian authored. In early 2018, I left my job in corporate law and started a search fund. As I became the leader of a small company, I started reading business books at a faster clip to hasten learning. It worked. Applying the principals of Les Schwab to the sales team at my startup had a major impact on my business.

This year, I hope to scale my company and expand operations to a new country. In addition, I hope to contribute more to communities like this one to improve my knowledge at a faster rate by sharing my ideas and destroying ideas that are incorrect (in the tradition of Charlie Munger).

Happy New Year! Neil

5 Likes

Hi

My self Jayesh Tank I am a IT Proffssional from India , I am From Ahmedabad Gujrat India.

I am learning Value Investing Fundamentals, Visiting regularly to MicroCapClub and like the articles and posts so I joined Intelligent Fanatics as a Member.

I keep on reading about Warren Buffet & Charlie munger I try to read & listen both of them. I am fan of both Great Investors.

Look forward to great interaction and learning from all members.

Regards

Jayesh Tank

3 Likes

Hello Everyone,

My name is Aditya Gorthi from Bangalore… I’m Charted Account by profession. I have been investing in Indian Stock markets for about 1 to 2 years. I’m very much interested to get to know about the Investing from all the great people across the world, in the quest I came across this great platform and just grabbed it…

Looking forward to learn great things from all of you…

Aditya

6 Likes

Hi everyone,
I am very grateful for the opportunity to learn from all you guys and hope to contribute to the community. A handwritten card from Sean was a great surprise and a hint that you are like a family.
My two young kids and my wife are on the top, then comes investing and learning.
WAN solutioneering is my profession but investing is what I really love. On the way here I already could learn from bright minds like Shane Parrish, Naval Ravikant, Charlie Munger, Josh Wolfe, Vishal Khandelwal, Prof. Sanjay Bakshi, Patrick O‘Shaugnessy, Ian and Blas to name a few.
And by the way I am 51 years old, live in Germany and my name is Gregor Kalus.

6 Likes

Hi all-

My name is Ben Buchanan. I’m a Christian from a small town called Paducah, KY who moved to the “big city” - Birmingham, AL and now Charlotte, NC. I’ve worked in various capacities as an operator but believe thinking like an investor is key (the only way?) to sustainable operational success.

I’m currently the CFO of a PE-backed business called Greenfiber which is the #1 manufacturer of cellulose insulation in the US. I’ve previously worked with SPO Partners at their portfolio company, Aggregates USA.

I’m woefully under-qualified for nearly everything I do so I welcome the opportunity to learn from all of you!

Best,
Ben

7 Likes

Thanks Ben and everyone for sharing your stories. It’s great to hear everyones journey. We all have a lot to learn and it’s why we are here too stand on the shoulders of giants.

4 Likes

hi everyone,
let me thanks Ian and Sean for giving me the opportunity to join this fantastic community of investors ready to share the learnings and wisdom of their investing life.
I am nirmalkumar jain from a small industrial town of Ichalkaranji,maharashtra,india.
I am an Engineer by education from VJTI,mumbai university.I in into business of finished shirting fabric manufacturing(textiles), constructions and real estate .I go into serious investing in markets in the year 2014.Before that I was mere attracted to the markets when everyone was making money and lost interest when the tide has passed away and loosing money in turn.
But the day I attended the worksop of Dr. Vijay Malik on peaceful investing which build my base in terms of understanding general principles of stock market investing.Then it was followed by reading all available good stuff of all great investors we all know.I try to dedicate 2 hr-3hrs of daily reading on various topics which helps in improving my understanding and developing various mental models.I use various tools like screener,valuepickr,reserachbyte,ratestar, etc to do my analysis .
My investing style is analysing good companies which are available at good margin of safety, or wait till the valuations are on my side.This style has helped me a lot in investing in very good undervalued companies in year 2014 which have give very good returns to me till date.I am here to learn and share from all the community members so as to add value in general to this fantastic forum.

7 Likes

Hi,

My name is Jason Hirschman and I live in the American city of lights, Las Vegas, Nevada. Happily married for more than 20 years and the proud father to two growing young men.

In addition to being a small businessman and a parent I also invest in the stock market, including the microcap space. From time to time I post on MicroCapClub under the handle EightTrack.

I’ve been fortunate enough to see Charlie Munger in person at both Berkshire Hathaway and Wesco annual meetings. So I’m particularly pleased to be a part of a community that pays homage to one of the great man’s wonderful phrases.

Looking forward to learning more about identifying Intelligent Fanatics leaders and avoiding TurdRaisin CEOs.

6 Likes

Hi all, my name is Spencer Menken, I’m a 25 year old from Toronto, Ontario in Canada. I currently manage a crew of workers as a foreman for a construction company installing underground infrastructure here in Toronto. Investing caught my attention 2 years ago when potstocks started becoming more popular and I dove right in, doubling my investment in just 2 short months. After that I got hooked and started trying to learn more and more, reading everything from the Yahoo Finance chat rooms, Investopedia, blogs, books and eventually hopped on Twitter, where I started following Ian Cassel and heard about Intelligent Fanatics. I got lucky one more time before getting burned by various different bad investment decisions and that led me to realize how little I actually know about investing and so I’ve set about searching for proper educational material.
This past year I’ve focused on becoming more knowledgeable and disciplined and have gotten to the point where I often contemplate leaving my job for good in order to pursue investing and trading full-time. The “Burning Bridges” article was particularly inspiring, because I’m often frustrated at the lack of time I have to sit down and properly focus on learning due my job taking up a solid 14 hours of my day. Financial Independence is a goal I’m very passionate about, and in order to do that one has to be in complete control of their finances and be able to make calculated decisions. Charles Munger and Warren Buffett are huge inspirations for me, however due to the importance of being able to make a living while waiting for long term investments to come to fruition, I’m also studying up on technical trading and options. Once I feel ready to cut the cord with my construction career, I’d like to seek out a mentor to help me develop my investment skills.

I look forward to learning a lot from this community, and a big thanks to Sean and Ian for making this possible!

5 Likes

Hello Everyone

I am Gurjeev Anand from Rajasthan India. I am a 3rd generation entrepreneur in stone mining industry. We are a group engaged in Limestone Mining excavation from last 40 years. This is natural stone from earth crust which usually went into flooring. But the tile industry has made competition tough over the years for natural stone. Natural stone is basically in single color and does have some variance in sizes made by machines. Tiles are made by mixing up of different substances which are normally in even square sizes and goes in for wall elevation and flooring.

I also manage my family portfolio here in India where i am fortunate to have business purchased by my ancestors at IPOs which they never sold. Here to enhance knowledge and gain wisdom. As buffet said I am better investor because I am business and i am a better businessman because i am an investor. I am fortunate to have both connections in my life.

Happy to be in this forum

6 Likes

Folks,

I am based out of Mumbai and a sell side analyst. I do not invest in stocks directly anymore (compliance) but advise institutional investors and also work with research analysts (teammates) in their research of small/mid/large companies. Passion to build a research team which provides investors with an intelligent analysis of business and some imagination for valuations. An avid reader/researcher of businesses, managements and investors. Let me know how can i help

Nitin

4 Likes

Hello everyone,
I was born in Indore and have lived in various small towns of Maharashtra (India). When I was in college, I had visited my uncle who runs a distribution biz. He explained to me the difference between margins and ROE. My interest in understanding businesses took off. Passion for investing was a offshoot of my interest in business and my job.

Nassim Taleb and Capital cycle have had significant impact on my investment thought process. I have taken inspiration from various thinkers on different aspects of investing a) Valuations - Prof Mauboussin & Prof Damodaran, b) Behavioral investing - Prof Bakshi, c)Investing principles- Wisdom from Omaha. I am more comfortable with research driven bottom up investing.

There are many favorite investing quotes but my favorite life quote is from Harry Potter - " It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"

Thanks Ian and Sean for forming this community.

Regards,

Jay Kakkad

5 Likes